Sunday, September 11, 2011

Homophone...do you know what this means??

Homophone:
Noun: Each of two or more words having the same pronunciation but different meanings, origins, or spelling, e.g., new and knew. 


This last week I had the flu. I kept bemoaning that people shouldn't possibly be a be able to contract the flu in August, when it is warm and sunny out and no one you know has it. I realized today that it is September. And that it has been September for a long time now. Way to go Kym for not even knowing what month it was. 


Anyhow, During my long miserable confinement, Jadyn would often come check on me and give me all of the sympathy that her little heart could muster. Here are some gems that she shared with me:


Kym: "Jadyn, Mama is sick."
Jadyn: "Ohhh...poor Mama! No more Mamas jumpin on the bed!"


Jadyn: "Mama sick? Mama sick? I hold you Mama."


Jadyn: "Ohhh...poor kitty, kitty is sick! Kitty needs a snack! (fruit snack)."


Jadyn: (Patting my face) "Ohhh...poor Mama. Mama is sick. I kiss it better." (Proceeds to kiss my stomach, elbow, and knee).


Jadyn: (Day 5) "Where's Jadyn's sick? Is Jadyn sick?"
Kym: "No...Jadyn is not sick."
Jadyn: "Is McKay sick?"
Kym: "No...McKay is not sick. Just Mama is sick."
Jadyn: "Ohhh...poor Mama. I love you Mama."


Kym: "Mama has the flu."
Jadyn: "Mama flew! Mama flew!! good job Mama!!"


Flu: A shortened term for inlfuenza.
Flew: The past tense verb of "To fly"
Flue: A pipe, tube, or channel for conveying hot air, gas, steam, or smoke, as from a furnace or fireplace to a chimney.
Floo: A type of powder used for traveling via fireplace in the magical world of Harry Potter.


These are homophones. I wish I really could fly. Or at least travel by Floo powder. Or even by chimney as in Mary Poppins. But unfortunately, all I had was the regular old inFLUenza...

No comments:

Post a Comment